Friday, November 6, 2009

Well, I haven't been so great about updating this blog. Maggie, I would like to apologize to you specifically. I leave for New Mexico for one month on Sunday. Being as I don't know anyone there, I'm sure I will find plenty of time to write.

Our most recent big news is that Jon got a job teaching high school biology! We are so excited! This is truly an answer to many prayers. Because Jon worked his last day at his old job last Friday and doesn't begin teaching until next Monday, we both had this past week off together. The past few months we haven't been able to see each other much because of Jon's crazy work schedule, so this time off has been great!
Last weekend we went camping by Stubblefield Lake. Jon went hunting, I kayaked, and the dogs got to run around all weekend. Most of all, we built some amazing fires and ate a lot of hot dogs and s'mores. A great time was had by all!




Jon got to dove hunt two more days this week with one of his friends and brought home some meat for us to eat. It makes me really happy when Jon gets to do things he enjoys. OH. Speaking of Jon, guess who is a swine flu survivor... Great job, Jon!




Scout update: We think we figured out what kind of dog Scout is. We were told by her previous owner that she is a boxer/pitbull mix. However, now that she is older we are realizing that she probably is not a boxer. Rather, we think she is a Basenji. Here is the description of the Basenji according to wikipedia:

"The Basenji produces an unusual yodel-like sound, due to its unusually shaped larynx. This trait also gives the Basenji the nickname "Barkless Dog."In behavior and temperament they have some traits in common with cats and are more prone to howls, yodels, and other undulated vocalizations over the characteristic bark of modern dog breeds. Basenjis dislike wet weather, like to climb, can easily get over chain wire fences, and are very clever at getting their own way. It can be described as speedy, frisky, tireless at play, and teasing the owner into play."

Thank you wikipedia. We also learned that Basenji's are very smart and learn quickly, but are very hard to discipline. They don't really care if their owner is angry at them and aren't really affected by pain. This explains so much... We bought a new crate for Scout. The crate is bigger and more inclusive. It is called "The Inclusive Crate". Basenji's hate being by themselves. We have found that if we include Scout while we do things around the house she is much happier. Here is a picture from when Scout invited me into her new house.




I'm off to go see Where the Wild Things Are! Have a great weekend!




2 comments:

  1. Thank you, Joanna!! Good comeback, you almost lost me there cause you hadn't posted in so long. I created an account on here so that I could comment on yours and Bai's blogs :) Also, I just wanted to say that I REALLY like Scout's inclusive crate. It looks extremely inclusive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed so hard looking at that camping picture. Free in the wild, exploring the elements, and an adorable Basenji locked in a cage...watching wistfully. I love you!

    Anna

    ReplyDelete